Moments

This Post was recovered from THURSDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2016


There are good and bad moments in every day; it's inarguably easier to focus on the bad, and very difficult to focus and hang onto the good. Today I had three very distinct moments that left me feeling all sunshine-y and happy, and made such a lasting impression that I am compelled to blog about them. Forgive the shitty writing. I'm tired and don't have the energy to do better.

Thing 1: I sat with good people at our holiday party. I had good conversations, I shared inside jokes, I felt good and like I belonged. Even though much of the "party" was boring, it was boring with a purpose. The majority of the time was devoted to people who have been with the company for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years. My employers care so much about their employees that they throw an expensive party complete with elaborate speeches, poems, songs, skits, etc. to honor their service. Normally all of those things would annoy the shit out of me, but it's just so damn genuine that it makes me feel incredibly blessed to be a part of this team. I work for good people. I am in my forever job.

Thing 2: I drove two co-workers back from our party, one who just started a few days ago. We were both employed at the same autism program for many years, but at different times, and we bonded over our mutual disdain of the company. This doesn't sound like a good thing, but it was. I found someone who shares my feelings of pain, heartache, anger, and betrayal for a company who we both devoted many years of our life to. Again, these things don't sound like good things, but they are. We share these mutual feelings and made it out alive. By the end of our hour drive home I felt like I bonded with a new person in a meaningful way, and when she got out of the car I had a total cathartic moment. I was happy. It was good.

Thing 3: I've left out the details of this one except for two sentences that I can't stand to delete.  She's totally one of my platonic soulmates and I just love her. Someday I'll probably tell her as much.

It's good to focus on these moments. They drown out the shit, even if only for a short while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fuck.

Love Warrior

People Who Smile When They Drive